The James Joyce Society
In New York since 1947
(Site Under construction!)
Members: join or renew for 2021!
A Joyce Webliography
|NEW||<-- Critical and misc. writings||Portals||Starting points|
|Organizations||Conferences, schools, events|
|Periodicals||Journals, presses, discussion|
|Texts/Criticism||Texts, commentary, hypertexts|
|Media||Photography, audio-visual, art|
- IJJF: James Joyce Resource Center at Tulsa The home page of the International James Joyce Foundation, devoted to encouraging scholarship, criticism and study of the life, work and career of the writer, with deep resources, symposium information and a web based newsgroup, led by a distinguished board of trustees, contains links, addresses, mailing lists, a timeline, and Joyce works, with a bibliography on Joyce and critical approaches to Joyce studies.
- archive.org. The Internet Archive is a huge collectiom of downloadable full text James Joyce items, plus audio, movie, and image pages, each organized by type and by year. In addition, the Internet Archive hosts the Wayback Machine at web.archive.org/, a collection of 514 billion searchable historical web page snapshots.
- hathitrust.org. Hathiturst, a consortium of Google, Internet Archive, Microsoft, and other participats, promises hundreds of searchable James Joyce titles. Particpating institutions grant individual researchers greater downloading access.
- books.google.com.> A search in Google promises a huge number of Joyce titles. The contents of some titles even still in copyright may be "searched inside the book."
- JJQ Wordpress blog :
http://jjqblog.wordpress.com/ Notices and news of interest from James Joyce Quarterly.
- James Joyce Online Notes:
http://www.jjon.org/. A new "forum for the publication of documentary evidence"
- The James Joyce Checklist:
A bIbliography of primary and secondary materials
- Featured Author: James Joyce - http://www.nytimes.com/books/00/01/09/specials/joyce.html
Reviews and articles on Joyce in the New York Times from 1919 to the present (requires login).
ORGANIZATIONS, LOCAL CENTERS. SCHOOLS: Back to Top
- The James Joyce Centre -- Dublin - http://www.jamesjoyce.ie/
In an elegant Georgian building in North Great George's Street and the centre of local activity on Bloomsday.
- http://www2.units.it/triestejoyce/John McCourt's Trieste Joyce school traditionally met each year in late June and early July,
- Zurich James Joyce Foundation
http://www.joycefoundation.ch. Under Fritz Senn, well Established as a cultural library and active research
center that offers a library of Joyce texts and related literature and
artifacts. Now online.
- Centre for manuscript genetics |
Genetic Joyce Studies:
- The James Joyce Society - http://www.joycesociety.org/ (this site)
President A. Nicholas Fargnoli. Founded 1947 and meets several times a year in New York City, now virtally. In addition to its website, it offers three social media sites: Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- The Finnegans Wake Society of New York
http://www.finneganswake.org/ - meets monthly to read portions of Finnegans Wake aloud. Also offers a list of Wake-related books, a directory of Wake reading groups, and links.
- James Joyce Annual Summer School
Anne Fogarty: Two week summer course in Ireland dedicated to the writings of the author. Dublin James Joyce Summer School
Portals Organizations Periodicals Texts/Criticism Media Research
PUBLICATIONS, JOURNALS AND PRESSES Back to Top
- James Joyce Quarterly
http://jjq.utulsa.edu/ - published by the University of Tulsa and dedicated to publishing articles on the life, works, and discussions of Joyce, edited by Sean Latham, with Carol Kealiher, Managing Editor, and William S. Brockman, Bibliographer. James Joyce Literary Supplement
- The James Joyce Broadsheet: http://jamesjoycebroadsheet.co.uk. The James Joyce Broadsheet is a specialist Joycean review, published three times a year since 1980. Editors: Pieter Bekker, Richard Brown & Alistair Stead.
- Joyce Studies Annual href="https://www.fordham.edu/info/22921/joyce_studies_annual Joyce Studies Annual
With the end of additional copyright restrictions on original Joyce publications, more of his texts have become available in recent years than ever before for downloading and research. In addition, a most welcome resource for Joyce research is Hathitrust.org, a comsortium of Google, Internet Archive and other participants, which grew from 2 million total searchable pages in 2008 to 15 million pages in 2018, including more than two dozen links to historical Joyce editions. Moving from the macro to the micro, James Joyce Online Notes at jjon.org is a welcome recent entry. The bad news is that too many Joyce sites have diappeared, moved, or changed their focus from research to help for students writing papers. (Links last checked March 25, 2021.)
PORTALS AND STARTING SITES: Back to Top
Publishes articles, reviews, and discussions twice a year. edited by Patrick A. McCarthy with Alexandria Morgan and Michael Sacks.
C O L L E C T I O N S
TEXTS, CRITICISM, AND HYPERTEXTSBack to Top OneLineBooks(Penn): Online Books(Penn) | Online Books (Penn): James Joyce contains Joyce's main works with some external links, including Chamber Music at Poets' Corner, Gutenberg text; /Dubliners (Bibliomania, Gutenberg) Exiles (readprint.com), Finnegans Wake (1939; second edition 1950) (text in Canada; NO US ACCESS), A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (Bibliomania, Gutenberg), and Ulysses (Gutenberg). In addition, Onlinebooks Penn extended list has more than two dozen links to a Joyce editions searchable at Hathitrust. There are, furthermore, links at https://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/browse?type=lcsubc&key=Joyce%2c%20James%2c%201882%2d1941 to about three dozen additional works about Joyce.
http://www.ricorso.net/rx/az-data/index.htm | http://www.ricorso.net/rx/az-data/authors/j/Joyce_JA/apx/schema/Wks_chron.htm An impresive, big, and fine collection of online materials on Irish literature before about 2010 has an excellent section on Joyce's life, works, criticism, commentaries, and references. Compiled by Bruce Stewart.
Gutenberg list of Joyce texts for downloading, chronologically, Chamber Music, Dubliners, Exiles, Ulysses.
Online Literature: http://www.online-literature.com/james_joyce/ Texts of Chamber Music, Dubliners (links to each tale), Portrait of the Artist, and Ulysses
A N N O T A T E D E D I T I O N S
James Joyce's The Dead: the musical
ULYSSES -- CONCORDANCE
ULYSSES -- CRITICISM AND SECONDARY WORKS
Mike Groden's Notes on Ulysses Mike Groden's Notes on Ulysses
Atlantic Monthly article describing the cultural, political, and linguistic problems peculiar to the 1995 translation of Ulysses into Chinese.
. Notes, etc. A Facsmile of Manuscripts & Typescripts James Joyce ; prefaced & arr. by Hans Walter Gabler. Searchable only.
James Joyce and the making of Ulysses by Frank Budgen. Searchable only.
SCHOLARLY CRITICISM AND BIOGRAPHYBack to Top
James Joyce Online Notes Joyce's People, Words, Allusions, Environs, ibraries, Gifford Corrections, Archive, Articles
The decentered universe of Finnegans wake : a structuralist analysis. Norris, Margot (1976)
A Finnegans wake gazetteer. Mink, Louis O. (1978)
A first-draft version of Finnegans wake. David Hayman, ed. (1963)
A Gaelic lexicon for Finnegans wake, and glossary for Joyce's other works. O Hehir, Brendan (1967)
James Joyce and the making of 'Ulysses', and other writings. Budgen, Frank (1972)
James Joyce, the citizen and the artist. Peake, Charles (1977)
Joyce-again's wake : an analysis of Finnegans wake. Benstock, Bernard (1965)
A lexicon of the German in Finnegans wake. Bonheim, Helmut (1967)
The odyssey of style in Ulysses. Lawrence, Karen (1981)
The sigla of Finnegans wake. McHugh, Roland (1976)
Structure and motif in Finnegans wake. Hart, Clive (1962)
Third census of Finnegans wake. Glasheen, Adaline (1977)
The "Wake" in transit. Hayman, David (1990)
Who's he when he's at home : a James Joyce directory. Benstock, Shari; Benstock, Bernard (1980)
The workshop of Daedalus. Scholes and Kain, eds. (1965)
An introduction to the poet by Professor Eiichi Hishikawa, Faculty of Letters, Kobe University. *** (2001) BIBLIOGRAPHY *** DELETE ***
MEDIA: MUSIC, PHOTOGRAPHY, FILM, VIDEO: Back to Top
< href="http://www.infography.com/content/480760462805.html">The Infography: Joyce in print
ONLINE SEARCHING AND RESEARCH: Back to Top
Links last checked March 25, 2021
President: A. Nicholas Fargnoli, firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice President: Jonathan Goldman, email@example.com
Webmaster: Heyward Ehrlich, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Site created 02/02/02, © 2002-2021 The James Joyce Society.